Friday, June 15, 2007

Sunday Scribbling: Eccentric

For the longest time I have associated the word "eccentric" with being "self-absorbed and having narcissistic tendencies". When the Sunday Scribbling prompt came up today and the word was "eccentric", I did some research and reading and found out that being eccentric is not exactly being self-absorbed. I learned that in popular usage, eccentricity refers to unusual or odd behavior on the part of the individual.

However, even after reading a lot about eccentricy, I still couldn't come up with an inspired scribbling. Probably because I myself is more of a conformist than eccentric. One of the most eccentric thing i have done would not be classified as "eccentric" when applied to others. I'm talking about blogging. For me being a blogger is being an eccentric of some sort.... what do you think?

8 comments:

Kamsin said...

Yeah, I'd agree that blogging isn't quite a "normal" activity for most people! To me eccentricity seems quite an English quality, and something I have a hard time explaining!

Herb Urban said...

Interesting. I've always found reading other people's blogs to be a tad on the eccentric side. Especially when it comes to virtual strangers. Why do choose to read them? What does it say about ourselves?

bonggamom said...

I guess it depends on who you're talking to... for most people who use the internet regularly, particularly the younger generation, don't think blogging is eccentric. However, for people who think that blogging is nothing more than a very public online "Dear Diary" sort of thing, I could see why they might think blogging is eccentric.

Betty Carlson said...

To comment on your point about blogging, I don't talk about the interactive aspect that much to people my age (40-something) because they tend to think it's strange and even scary. But they seem more open to the writing aspect of it. And you're right, a lot of people do still seem to think it's ONLY and online diary.

I understand!

Just Meg said...

I think blogging is another type of searching for "connecting" with others. It is a small world, after all. With blogging, we can reach all the way to the other side of the world and connect with another soul, instantly. What was once considered strange, may eventually be considered the "norm".
I like your insights:)

Lisa Sullivan said...

I just want to say that I, too, had some difficulty in coming up with an answer to the prompt. I've always defined eccentricity as having that wealthy person with that odd behavior or quirk about them. I'm so not like that...nor do I ever want to be.

Your take is very good! I tend to agree that Blogging has it's own eccentric quality in itself. I know that I am the ONLY person in my family that Blogs. So, I guess I am a bit of an eccentric myself. WOW! I never thought of it that way!

Thanks for giving me a new insight to the prompt. :-)

Smiles!

Patois42 said...

I've definitely found blogging to be viewed by the "non-believers" as something quite odd, different, strange. So when I tell someone like this that I blog, I get a kick -- perhaps an eccentric kick? -- out of their reactions.

Anonymous said...

My guess is your not as much of a conformist as you think.
The fabulous thing about blogging is that it allows our most creative selves to show.
By the way I like your header.
Take care,
Frances