Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter - Yes We Waited until 12 midnight to Buy the Book

I really wouldn't have done it except for my husband, son (10 yr old), and our dear friends were into this. Come to think of it, I actually enjoyed it. Since this is the last Harry Potter book, the experience of waiting at Borders at 12 midnight was actually fun.

At 6:45 pm today, we watched the Harry Potter Movie (Order of the Phoenix). Then we went to K and C's house, ate bagels, chocolate chip cookies and drank coffee (and chocolate drink for kids). About 11:00 pm we headed to Borders. There were a lot of people by the time we got there. There was a costume contest (Harry Potter characters) that went on while everyone was waiting. It was entertaining watching the participants on the costume contest. After the contest, the countdown begun - it was like New Year's Eve when everyone in the bookstore counted 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 4, 3,2,1!!!!! The first ones who on line cheered loudly and there were applause and cheering all over. Camera was rolling (for the local TV network).

The line was very long. Since Walmart was just about 5 minutes away from Borders, our friend decided to go and buy there instead (for them and us). He drove there while we waited outside in the parking lot of Borders. In about 15 minutes (maybe even less) he's back - with the books! It only cost us $18.00 for the book. It's a deal! Had we waited in line at Borders, we probably would have had to wait for another 30 minutes or so.

The kids fell asleep in the car on our way back home. Hubby is now reading the book while I blog. Since I am not a die hard fan of Harry Potter, I started goggling it to see what people are saying about it. And let me confess - I read one of the spoilers (I promise not to tell my family and you - if you really want to know, feel free to google it yourself. Try using the prompt Harry Potter Book 7 spoilers).

I know many of the Christian families discourage (even prohibits) their kids from reading Harry Potter. At first I didn't want my kids to read it as well, but since hubby likes it and it has become a "bonding time" for him and the kids (he reads it to the kids), I thought that as long as my kids know that this is a novel, a fiction, and that we don't agree to the sorceries, myths, and magic in the book, then they will be ok. And since I am not eloquent on stating my view on this, maybe THIS POST will help.

Oh, here are some photos of how we waited here on Hawaii :)

Z Z Z Z Z z z z z z zz ..........

5 comments:

raqgold said...

good night and sweet dreams, liza :-) isnt it fun to enjoy such adventures with the kids? i am still waiting for my pre ordered book via the post!

Anonymous said...

isn't it such a grand marketing scheme to release the book at the same time around the world. Thanks for sharing your experience on that side of the world. Interesting!

Anonymous said...

Liza, I'm so sorry, please delete the first comment. It was directed to Raq. My bad!

So how are you on your reading? I'm still a long way to go...

Anyway, hope its ok that I linked you and we can probably do a link love.

The Morgan Family said...

Loved reading about your experience! And I couldn't agree with you more......The Harry Potter series has lead to some amazing 'bonding time' with my husband and our son!!!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog, it’s always fun to come back and check what you have to tell us today.