Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Attitude of Gratitude

Rushing at 3:30pm, I picked up N from school to drive her to her Jazz and Tap dance class. Inside the car, she started to "whine"...

"Mom, you did not pack me healthy snacks today! I was hungry. It's Wednesday, you're supposed to pack me healthy snacks. Donuts, Luncheables and Doritos chips are not healthy"....

I tried to be calm, after all I really should have packed a healthier snack. As I recall, this morning was a frantic morning. When I woke up, I realized we run out of snack stuff in our pantry. Since we woke up late, I decided to drop off the kids to school without snack, then I drove to Safeway and got that donut, Luncheables and Doritos, returned to school and dropped it off for them.

N continued with the complain... "And mom, why didn't you answer your cell phone when we called you. Auntie V called so we can ask you if we can bring B to my dance class because I wanted her to watch...and she wanted to watch. Why didn't you answer your phone?" (take note...this has a very whiny tone of voice when she asked this).

Being the "wonderful" mom that I am... I gave N a lecture on how she should have an "attitude of gratitude" instead of complaining and whining. Actually, I was not so nice when i lectured her. I started enumerating the things I do for her and threatened her that I won't drive her to dance class anymore if all she does is "complain".

All of a sudden it hit me that I do the same thing with God....Like N, there were times when I would ask with a whiny attitude:

"God, why didn't you give me this?"
"God, you're supposed to do this for me!"
"God, why are you not answering my prayers?"


Ouch!

So, next time I am tempted to whine, I will remember this little story and remind myself that if all I do is complain, God might not take me to the "dance class" anymore.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" - I Thessalonians 5:16-18


************** Updated This Afternoon ***************



I just discovered THANKFUL THURSDAY and I thought I'd join in and submit this post. To keep up with how they are doing it, I'd like to mention one thing I am thankful for - my job. I know there are many times I struggled and whined about it (when I need more time to be with my kids or to do my chores), but the truth is, it is a blessing from God. Thank you Lord for the wonderful job you provided for me.

10 comments:

Justice Fergie said...

Hi Liza!

An attitude of gratitude - I like that! Funny how our kids teach us lessons too.

Thanks for visiting last night :) Now, how can I visit you in MAUI?? lol.

mommy3 said...

Such a great lesson! I love those "ah-ha" moments when we finally hear God's voice gently speaking to us.

I will remember your story when I am tempted to complain. Or, when I am tempted to scold my 3-yr-old (whose middle name is Noelle) because she is tired and complaining.

I hope you have a great day Liza!

DigitalRich said...

I love when my kids give me insight, or cause me to think and discover something about myself.

DigitalRich

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Isn't it amazing how God can reach through our children and smack us right between the eyes? That's a good thing to remember.

Patti said...

We can al use that lesson!

Delete said...

Welcome to Thankful Thursday! I find it to be a great reminder of how to be appreciative of all the blessings in the world. It helps me stay focused on what is good in my life instead of all the things I could worry about. I hope you'll join in again next Thursday!

Jennifer

Denise said...

Thanks for having a grateful heart, bless you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, sometimes we don't see the blessing, but when we look a little closer we do. Although time with family is precious...
Thank you for sharing your thankfulness with us this week.

Blessings on your weekend and always...

Kate said...

Such a deep reminder for all of us! Thank you for sharing that...I am guilty of whining so much. Praise the Lord for His unfailing and patient love towards us!! Have a blessed weekend!

Ame said...

:)

you know, with two girls, there's always someone whining in my house - but when the dog starts, that it for me! i do NOT have to listen to a dog whining!!!